Targeted use of resources
Product quality & environmental compatibility: our measures
Our approach is to use resources consciously to be as environmentally friendly as we can. In order to succeed with this in the production of our medical materials, hygienics, and cosmetic products, HARTMANN has taken various measures in the past few years and complies with legal regulations:
- Early implementation of the European Medical Device Regulation (MDR)
- Use of e-NORM software at 17 global sites to acquire knowledge and follow the latest regulatory requirements
- Investments in research and development with a focus on product development (€94.9 million in 2021)
- Innovative material selection and product design to reduce negative climate impact effectively while maintaining product performance and function
- Recycling and proper material disposal at the end of the product lifecycle
- Development of more sustainable packaging including corresponding warehouse and transport optimisation
- Portfolio expansion for e-health solutions to reduce material and resource consumption
- Analysis and optimisation of supply chains, including monitoring of partner businesses concerning quality and sustainability criteria
Case: MoliCare® Premium Bed Mats
With MoliCare® Premium Bed Mats - premium bed protection layers by HARTMANN - we have taken an important step ahead in the incontinence management segment. We have optimised the packaging materials significantly and placed them successfully in the market. By doing so, in 2021 alone, we saved approximately 30,000 pallets*, as well as the corresponding warehouse and transportation costs. In the years to come, we will continue to pursue these optimisation measures and expand them into other sections of the HARTMANN incontinence portfolio.
*The value refers to the German, French, Spanish and Czech markets.