• Sales and earnings decline due to pandemic
• Transformation Program makes considerable progress with the launch of new products in the market and extensive investments in production facilities and infrastructure
• Outlook for 2022: sales and earnings down; impact of armed conflict in Ukraine not yet quantifiable
Key financial figures for 2021
HARTMANN's Group sales in 2021 were EUR 2,301.8 million. This corresponds to an expected moderate organic decline in sales of -5.2% compared to the previous year. The key earnings figure of adjusted EBITDA decreased by -17.7% to EUR 240.6 million (previous year: EUR 292.4 million) and was therefore within the forecast range as published. HARTMANN adheres to the principle of a dividend policy focused on continuity. The proposed dividend is unchanged from the previous year at EUR 8.00 per share.
- Infection Management: Demand has declined due to customers with large supplies on stock.
- Incontinence Management: The persistence of low bed occupancy rates in hospitals and nursing homes resulted in subdued demand.
- Wound Care1: Despite growth, the wound care market remains significantly below the market development prior to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Complementary Group Divisions1: KNEIPP continued to successfully serve the trend towards greater health awareness; KOB recorded growth in compression bandages.
Sales (organic sales growth) 2021
EUR 2,301.8 million (-5.2 %)
EUR 681.3 million (-19.3 %)
EUR 681.1 million (-1.8 %)
EUR 492.4 million (+9.7 %)
Complementary Group Divisions1
EUR 447.0 million (+0.8 %)
1The names of these business segments were altered in 2021.
Successful Transformation Program
HARTMANN launched its Transformation Program in 2019 to sustainably improve the Company's competitiveness. As the pandemic intensifies the challenges faced by healthcare markets, the consistent implementation of the program is essential for the Company.
Britta Fünfstück, CEO of the HARTMANN GROUP: “We have once again succeeded in meeting the challenges of the pandemic while achieving the planned progress milestones of our Transformation Program.”
- HARTMANN brought important product innovations to market launch, including: further silicone-based wound dressings (e.g. Cosmopor® Silicone), an artificial intelligence-based system for wound analysis (Vintens®), a new sterile component set for infection prevention (MediSet®) as well as highly effective products for surface disinfection (e.g. Bacillol® 30 Sensitive).
- HARTMANN continued its digitalization and the strengthening of its offerings for the outpatient market. Since January 2021, the leading German online platform for nursing care pflege.de has been part of the Company's portfolio.
- HARTMANN made significant investments in the expansion and modernization of production facilities and infrastructure, including: machinery in the field of advanced wound care in France, a new high-performance production line for incontinence products in Spain and capacity expansions for the Disinfection division in Germany. In total, investments in tangible assets amounted to around EUR 154 million last year, significantly more than in previous years.
HARTMANN condemns any aggression that endangers people’s lives and health. HARTMANN is offering aid through cash and non-cash donations to Ukraine as well as neighboring countries who are providing shelter for the large number of refugees. In addition, the Company is supporting the family members of Ukrainians employed by the Company who have fled.
The annual report and financial statements for financial year 2021 can be found at hartmann.info/en-corp/investor-relations.
About the HARTMANN GROUP
The HARTMANN GROUP is one of the leading European providers of professional medical and care products and associated services. Every day, healthcare professionals and patients rely on HARTMANN brands in the segments of Incontinence Management (e.g. MoliCare®), Wound Care (e.g. Zetuvit®) and Infection Management (e. g. Sterillium®). This is expressed in our brand promise of “Helps. Cares. Protects.” In 2021, the HARTMANN GROUP reported Group sales of EUR 2.3 billion. Founded in 1818, the company sells its products and solutions in 130 countries around the world. For the future, the HARTMANN GROUP is currently implementing its strategic Transformation Program with its high-performance, customer-oriented and passionate team.
For the latest information on HARTMANN, follow @HARTMANN_GROUP on Twitter.
To learn more about the HARTMANN GROUP, visit: https://hartmann.info/.